The first historical reference to the Inauguration Hill of the O'Molloy's dates to 1704 AD in a manuscript copy of Keating's Foras Feasa ar Eirinn written by Tadg O'Neachtain , this manuscript is in the National Library of Ireland reference no. G 192 - this manuscript states n Irish 'Ar Mullach Chruich do goirthi O Maolmhuaidh, Magemhuin do goire e.' which translates into English as 'On Mullach Chruich [Mullaghcrohy] O'Molloy used to be name, Magemhuin named him'.
Mullaghcrohy in Irish it is Mullach Croiche [Hill of the Cross], which was the traditional inauguration place of O Maolmuaidh [O'Molloy's]. The word mullach means hilltop which suggests that inauguration place of the O'Molloys was located on the top of the hill known as Mullaghcrohy. A little bit about this hill is described in a recent book called 'Royal inauguration in Gaelic Ireland c. 1100-1600: a cultural landscape study' by Liz Fitzptarick.